Skip to main content

Taiwan Travel Preparations

So I'm going to Taiwan later this summer. Lately I've been working on summer classes and preparing for my trip by doing all of the steps recommended by the Study Abroad Office on the MTSU campus.

Such preparation advice includes going to the MTSU Travel Clinic, preparing proper immunizations, reviewing exchange rate and monetary needs, and reviewing customs/visa requirements.

Travel Clinic @ MTSU
Going to Student Health Services, on the MTSU campus, for a Travel Clinic appointment. During this visit, the doctor gave me a basic check-up and we looked over the Center for Disease Control recommendations regarding travel to Taiwan. The Travel Clinic visit is FREE, but many students actually pay $5 for it. Why? During the clinic visit, the doctor is required to give you a travel booklet that contains all of the information that you cover during the visit. Although it is this booklet that costs $5 and not the Travel Clinic visit itself, the fee is often not broken down to reflect this. Simply refuse the travel brochure and the visit will be free.

U.S. State Department Registration & Information
The State Department is an arm of the Executive Branch duties of the U.S. government that deals with issues between states/countries. I registered my trip with the U.S. State Department via their Step Program. The STEP program allows me to provide the State Department information relevant to my trip such as who I am, passport information, where I'm staying, and when I'll be in another country. Although registration of your overseas trip is not required, it can be a positive action to ensure that if there is some sort of emergency while you are in a foreign country that your home government can assist you to get through the emergent situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flight to & Arrival in Taiwan

Our flight left the airport at 6:00AM on July 12th, which means we had to be at the airport for check-in at around 4:00AM. Now I don't know about you, but being at the airport at 4AM isn't exactly my idea of fun; but they had a Starbucks, so hey why not? The airports were pretty boring until we got to Toronto. Toronto really knows how to build an airport! Apparently HSBC bank is a big supporter of the airport, their logo was everywhere. While waiting around for multiple hours doesn't sound like a fun prospect, Toronto airport makes it easy. The section of the airport that I'm in has hundreds of semi-comfortable seats that feature an iPad, free internet, and a helpful little system that helps you select your plane and gives you updates on your plane's arrival time and features a menu and ordering system for nearby restaurants - the closest of which was less than 20 feet away. You can even pay for your meal at the attached credit card machine....

Is it feasible to have a publicly accessible journal style blog?

When creating a blog or any type of documentation publishing system, the question of user access permissions is one that inevitably arises. For an online web blog, this is an especially important question because information that is placed on the internet is very difficult - if not completely impossible - to remove, once it has taken root. So the question is this: "Do I want to place my thoughts, fears, beliefs, and ideas online for all to see, and can I be accepting of whatever may come of it?" Some possible effects on me include: Rejection? Ridicule? Or perhaps even ultimate acceptance by others...? The question of possible rejection is a big one, because it is not only a question of social rejection – which consists of the rejection of your ideas by your peers and the eventual affect their rejection has on your reputation and social capital – legal rejection could be a potential consequence as well. This legal rejection could come in many forms, from...